Installing AREDN Firmware¶
The steps for installing device firmware are documented on the AREDN™ website in the Current Software section. Under the Software menu, select Download to reach the Current Software page.
There are two cases for installing AREDN™ firmware:
- If you already have an existing version of AREDN™ running on your device, then you can navigate to Setup -> Administration -> Firmware Update to install your new firmware. This process will be explained in more detail in the Advanced Administration section of this guide.
- If you are installing AREDN™ firmware on a device for the first time, each hardware platform may require a unique procedure.
- Ubiquiti devices can typically upload a new firmware image using TFTP. The up-to-date procedures for accomplishing this task are shown on the TFTP Firmware Installation page of the AREDN™ website.
- TP-LINK devices use the manufacturer’s pre-installed PharOS interface to upload and apply new firmware images. Navigate to the Setup section to select and upload new firmware. Check the TP-LINK documentation for your device if you have questions about using their built-in interface.
- Mikrotik devices can be updated using a specific process that is documented on the Instructions for Mikrotik Devices page on the AREDN™ website. A new “easy install” process for Mikrotik devices is in development and will be described when it becomes available.
Once your device is running AREDN™ firmware, you can display its web interface by connecting your computer to the LAN port on the PoE and navigating to the following URL:
By default AREDN™ devices run the DHCP service on their LAN interface, so your computer will receive an IP address from the node as soon as it is connected with an Ethernet cable. Ensure that your computer is set to obtain its IP address via DHCP.